Tuesday, August 16, 2011

The Dog Days of Summer

Ask the dogs - it's way too hot ! We've been getting up at 4:30/5:00 o'clock every morning for the past couple of months to beat the heat. To no avail. You open the front door at o-god-thirty in the morning and a wall of humidity and warmth slaps you in the face. The last two or three days have been better..........finally ! But since we are in the middle of August I'd say I'm only cautiously optimistic that the mornings will stay that way. This morning I met my dear friend Barbara for a dog walk at 8 a.m. It felt like half the day was over around that time already. The ranger at the park entrance was happy to see us again and complained that before he only had seen us leave rather than coming in to wish him a good day. The entrance station only opens at 7 a.m. and by that time we were ready for breakfast and coffee ...........and yes, a refreshing shower !
I have never seen birds panting or squirrels laying flat on the ground to seek relief from the heat. They were suffering from the hot temperatures and I sometimes had to refill the water dishes three times a day for them. We also decided to feed them. Something I usually don't do during the summer, but they thankfully took our food offerings. Here a few summer impressions from the bird feeder:






No comments:

Post a Comment